The persons engaging in this activity may be known as Pushers, or Spreaders; not "journalists" or "entertainers" because their intent is to get inside heads and squeeze.
Rating: IP - The Incitement Push.
The Incitement Push is an ersatz-News Product. Not news at all - the only news is how the spreader is doing it. What the spreader thinks is not news, but Opinion. Where the goal is steering people to an action or belief, not informing them, behold the Incitement Push.
The Incitement Push
- omits facts that a reader reasonably needs in order to assess a situation, FN 1
- derives from news events but will not provide a full report from which the Spreader has come to his or her opinion.
- markets a viewpoint, in the guise of "news" FN 2
- uses entertainment, and advertising, media
- runs counter to the public good in a democracy, by depriving people of facts and background needed for fully informed decisions FN 3
This opinion pushing is also known as propaganda by Swiftboating, or Swiftboat by Omission and Emphasis.
The Incitement Pusher has an agenda that he or she will sell by any means, including hiding the lie under the free speech umbrella. Instead, it presents a disembodied, instant morph of a misstated event into great spins, like so many big tops in the air. Entertainment! Humiliations! Derision! Malice. Profit.
Thus the flash. The Push shall be identified by title, color or sign; but as this is unlikely, absence of such identification is conclusive evidence that the News Product is Push.
A Pusher will seldom self-identify, but the news fact ratings shall be established as
- IP, Incitement Push,
- little red flashing box preceding, or
- the symbol X.
Related issues: The Addictive nature of the Incitement Push format, FN 4; enforcement FN 5;
FN 1 Ease of fix. An Incitement Push summarizes and spins a news event without referencing a specific full News Report that is immediately accessible for reference by the viewer or hearer. This can be remedied by providing actual quotes, actual transcripts cited for comparison with the spin.
FN 2 Need for Public Education on Propaganda. The advertising, propaganda, entertainment and deception skills are substantial. The Incitement Push proceeds from spin to a View Leading to Incitement (call for a particular action), based on anything the Pusher or Spreader selects to rely upon, and those things need not be identified. Education may enable a population to avoid a hostile takeover.
FN 3 Proposed moderating remedy to Incitement Push: Require fiduciary standard to fact-dissemination, and only then permit Spreaders to Spread. The consumer relies on media for information, and has no comparable way of getting it except through the media itself, thus the special duty. See FodderSight, Fodder, Propaganda List. Once the facts and quotes are out, accurately, then let the spinners in and let the frenzy begin.
The Pusher can also be identified by various means, see FN 1. The process is like a force-feed as to consumers. See FN 2.
FN 4. Further Identification of the Pusher or Spreader.
A Pusher may attempt to portray himself or herself as an Advocacy Journalist, thus the Consumer must be wary. Pushers are often seen going to the bank, and acting and omitting as follows: The Opinion Pusher
- provides only limited information to consumers of the News Product,
- uses language of inflammatory nature, propagandizes (see Glossary)
- creates headlines that argue a point rather than inform
- relies on fabrications or factoids stated without foundation
- places entertainment and profit above information
- uses overt and covert persuasion techniques to prevent the consumer from further analytical or independent fact investigation activity, including humiliation, denigration, volume, repetition, YouTubing unflattering photos, and causing others to look an an opposing viewpoint with contempt.
- forecloses dialogue or further investigation where a free change of mind may well be fostered,
- sets the stage for "Battles" or other confrontations where there is ultimately a designated Loser and a designated Winner, and the Opinion Pusher shall be in each case the Winner.
- demonstrates ubersubjectivity
- no mirrors in dressing room
The Incitement Pusher pushes an adrenalin-laden, numbing while stimulating, addictive experience, affecting the independent thought responses of regular Consumers of the product. Pushers purvey addictive material. Research shows that, in particular, interior house painters tune in as a diversion during the day; but then acknowledge that they are apt to adopt the views so pushed. They are unable to resist the volume and spew, emanating from the radio or TV, and seek out further Push Fixes. These fixes drive them to continue to view, or anticipate, the humiliations of one's fellow citizens who disagree. Push junkies can also receive the ongoing "fix" of prefab points of view and opinion by osmosis, the skew du jour.
Forcers develop a taste for force; swallowers develop a habit of swallowing without thinking. The Pusher forces floating toxic viewpoints over the airwaves and libraries until they are indeed swallowed.
Opinion Foie Gras. This force-feeding procedure is also known as News Foie Gras, a/k/a NFG; or Opinion Foie Gras, a/k/a OFG.
FN 6 Enforcement. Any otherwise Advocacy Journalist or Opinionator may be requalified as Pusher where such Purveyor fails to provide immediate access to a full news report simultaneous with the Advocacy bit or Opinion.