Swiftboat by Ellipsis Abuse. Quotation Abuse.
Omission without Ellipsis, and Access to the Full Source.
is a Lie
James Joyce wrote of the "epiphany" event, showing forth the character of the individual or essence of events in a sincle tableau. Is the truncated quote as used by candidates and reporters, to give a false impression and mislead for their own profit and advantage until caught, equally epiphany? See Bernard Richards' article, reported from The English Review, at http://www.mrbauld.com/epiphany.html. Disclosure of the omitted essential should produce that same kind of magical disclosure moment. Are we too numbed to care. Swiftboating. Use of incomplete or twisted sets of facts to mislead, persuade.
1. Budget discussions, Federal Government, 2012: Truncating, misapplying quotations, propaganda tool. Mediator, Opinionator Ellipsis Abuse.
I [President Obama] said (to Republicans), ‘You want to repeal health care? Go at it. We’ll have that debate. You’re not going to be able to do that by nickel-and-diming me in the budget.’Little Green Footballs, Charles Johnson, Open Mic, President Obama, budget, "You Think We're Stupid?"
You think we’re stupid?
[About Planned Parenthood…]
Put it in a separate bill. We’ll call it up. And if you think you can overturn my veto, try it. But don’t try to sneak this through. …
When Paul Ryan says his priority is to make sure, he’s just being America’s accountant … This is the same guy that voted for two wars that were unpaid for, voted for the Bush tax cuts that were unpaid for, voted for the prescription drug bill that cost as much as my health care bill — but wasn’t paid for … So it’s not on the level.
Then the report, New York Times and CBS, Bryan Williams est.4.14.2011 evening news: Only the first four lines.
2. Ads truncate quotations, see http://www.nationalconfidential.com/20120113/koch-backed-group-to-release-6-million-swift-boat-style-campaign-vs-obama/
3. Mitt Romney truncates, misapplies President Obama's words on economy, see http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/revisiting-romneys-deceitful-dishonest-ad-about-obama/2011/12/05/gIQAEsd0XO_blog.html. Rachel calls him on it. See http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/revisiting-romneys-deceitful-dishonest-ad-about-obama/2011/12/05/gIQAEsd0XO_blog.html.
4. Karl Rove, in Wall Street Journal opinion piece, truncates quotation from former President Clinton, see Kaystreet: Obama Order to Get Bin Laden Not an Epic Achievement.
Omission without Ellipsis is a Lie
Get back to requiring ellipsis. It has a function.
Ellipsis: Properly used to omit extraneous matter. They become propaganda dots of doom when they gut the message, destroy the essence of the message.
Is that why ellipsis is used no longer? Ellipsis is a signal, a beware sign. Leave them out! Better to get away with, my dear. As Henry David Thoreau said, http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/h/henrydavid122587.html, and here we apply it to ellipsis rules, "Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it."
- Biden, said Obama would be tested, but, as with Kennedy, "They're going to find out this guy's got steel in his spine." See http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-10-21-campaign-wrap-tuesday_N.htm/.
We are in worse shape now than when we used ellipsis as a signal for something missing.