Update 2016. Google is adopting a truth-rating service with its fact-check label. See http://www.pcworld.com/article/3131505/data-center-cloud/google-news-battles-era-of-spin-with-fact-check-label.html. That idea of assessing objective merit for the thought-process, the evidence relied upon for a conclusion, has been around for years, with our own Trompe News label advocated here. Why the delay Google? Count the years: Eight.
Rating - TN. Trompe News.
A. Background and uses, Term Trompe.
1. Apparatus Trompe. Think Trumpet. This root of Trompe is an apparatus, push wind in one end, fiddle with valves, and out comes wind with sound. Example for home experiment: Make water fall through a pipe with holes in it, forcing the air already in the pipe to glom up and expel at the other end, and an air blast will result such as those used in furnaces or forges. See Trompe at http://www.thefreedictionary.com/trompe/ Think of this use of trompe as in trumpet - the music goes round and round then whoa-oh-oh blaaaaat.
Uses of trompe can be benign or malignant, depending on context and intent. A whoopie cushion is a malignant use of the idea of forcing blasts - no useful purpose but to generate derision for the unfortunate whooper.
2. Technique Trompe. Think trompe l'oeil - French. Think Fooled You. Fool the eye. This is a technique whereby simple games with paint and plaster, or photography, make something two dimensional look three dimensional, etc. Think the Ha ha. That door over there is no door at all, but a little canvas behind which is an elevator shaft, open. Fooled your eye. And, the technique can be used in benign or malignant ways, as in the elevator example. See http://www.trompe-l-oeil-art.com/trompe.htm/
3. News Trompe, or as we prefer, Trompe News, is blowhard news, sometimes mistaken for Trump news, but not always. Trompe news benign, trompe news malignant, in the eye of the tromped. All persuasion is manipulative in the effort to sell, but can be fairly informative. Learn propaganda techniques and apply to news for trompeness. Early propaganda analyses, see http://www.propagandacritic.com, and look for fear inducement, the sloganeer, the blaming of a scapegoat, spin, focus on masses and not those with education, access to vetting, backgrounds in self-protection. Obstruct, oppose, duck debate, repeat.
4. Add to News Trompe, the labels of News Tilt, or Incitement Push. Governments and privates use all these techniques, see ://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Fake_news. See Joy of Equivocating, News Tilt; or Incitement Push, see Joy of Equivocating, The Incitement Push News "Product".
5. Home exercises. The Citizen's Defense to Propaganda, demagoguery. Identify any and all trompe news as to nature and source.
- TN Constructive; or
- TN Entertaining
- TN Destructive.
Meanwhile: Trompe News. Everyman's signal that what follows may not be fact yet, but could be, should be perhaps, read and think. Google, cheer the labeling but vet the labelers. We need transparency for who is making the choices of label.
- Readers, researchers, voters need transparency in news services, a way to assess merit in political positions, and that is partially accomplished by a rating system for objective reporting. Is the position taken related to reasonably actual fact.
- Fake News served as one such category, but that label leads to avoiding sites altogether. Proposed here was a label, Trompe, to suggest not just fake, but trumped up, puffed and blown out of proportion, fool you.
FN as a label for Fake News has become overused on comedy shows. Instead, the issue is serious. Fake News, with carefully winnowed and spun factoids, is everywhere, including with the slightly Frenchified concepts of Faux News. Accordingly, the Joy of Equivocating staff applies a more descriptive and less hackneyed term to the concept.
- TN for Trompe News. Click a Like somewhere if you agree that this is a time for news certainty: labeling the news cans. See Joy of Equivocating: Fact Content Ratings for News Industry. See also proposed legislative plank at PoseJuxta: Proposed Planks. Required Disclosures by Purveyors of News Products.